“Life gives you plenty of time to do whatever you want to do if you stay in the present moment.”
Hello, sweet friends…
I hope you are having an amazing summer…
This summer I decided to sign up for aerobics swimming…something a little different
And just recently I felt like baking…
two apple pies…
entering one in the Coos County Fair…
Somewhere in between the swimming & baking I had one of those epiphanies…
which was simply wonderful…
There is no better place than right now…
This is where I feel most comfortable…
This is where…
I feel most like myself.
(recipe for a double piecrust)
6-Granny Smith apples, peeled, cord and thinly sliced
one and a half teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
1/4 cup water
1 cup of granulated sugar
one egg +1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
Preheat the oven t0 425°.
For sauce…Melt butter in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Whisk in 3 tablespoons flour then simmer for one minute, whisking constantly. Whisk in 1/4 cup water, 1 cup sugar and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and continue simmering three minutes, whisking frequently then remove from heat.
Peel, remove course and thinly sliced 7 cups of apples and place them in a large bowl. Sprinkle the top with one and a half teaspoon cinnamon and toss to combine. Pour the sauce over the apples and stir to coat the apple slices.
Sprinkle your work surface with flour and roll out bottom pie crust to a 12 inch diameter circle. Wrap it around your rolling pin to transfer it to the 9 inch pie plate. Add apple mixture, mounding slightly in the center and being careful not to get the filling on the edges which would make it difficult to seal.
Roll second crust into an 11 inch round and wrap it around your rolling pin transferring it to the apple mixture. Beat together one egg and one tablespoon water and brush the top with egg mixture.
Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350° and continue baking another 45 minutes or until apples are soft and filling is bubbling through the vents. Rest at room temperature one hour before serving.
Ingredients for Butter Pie Crust Dough Recipe:
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 lb COLD unsalted butter(2 sticks) diced into 1/4″ pieces
- 7 Tbsp ice water (7 to 8 Tbsp)
- Place flour, sugar and salt into the bowl of a food processor and pulse a few times to combine.
- Add cold diced butter and pulse the mixture until coarse crumbs form with some pea-sized pieces then stop mixing. Mixture should remain dry and powdery.
- Add 7 Tbsp ice water and pulse just until moist clumps or small balls form. Press a piece of dough between your finger tips and if the dough sticks together, you have added enough water. If not, add more water a teaspoon full at a time. Be careful not to add too much water or the dough will be sticky and difficult to roll out.
- Transfer dough to a clean work surface, and gather dough together into a ball (it should not be smooth and DO NOT knead the dough). Divide dough in half and flatten to form 2 disks. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour before using in recipes that call for pie crust.