I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else. -C.S.Lewis
Hello, sweet friend…
Spring is alive in the world…
already on trees we see the buds and blossoms…
the hope in a future we cannot see yet.
This quarantine has been a time for me to focus on what I can do instead of what I can’t…on what could be…
verses what isn’t or what I’m afraid of what won’t be again.
With Easter just around the corner it seems like this has also been a perfect time for Hope…since Easter celebrates new life. A new life that overcomes even our starkest moments and alive in the new ways we are learning to show love and care for one another.
I’ve been cooking Easter meals all week. Trying out different recipes for brunch and desserts. These 4 recipes are easy and use basic ingredients which most likely you have or can adjust the recipe with another substitute.
Sausage Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole
- 2 lb bag frozen hash browns, thawed (see notes below)
- 1 lb pork breakfast sausage, sage or spicy (I used vegan chorizo)
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 8 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees.
- Spray 13 x 9 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a sauté pan, cook onions and brown and crumble sausage.
- Drain any excess grease. If you’d like, you can just take crumbled sausage out of pan, leaving the grease, and then brown the hash browns a bit, this adds nice flavor to the casserole.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, 1 cup of shredded cheese and salt and pepper.
- In a baking dish, spread hash browns into bottom of dish.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg optional- but I think is necessary
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 2 1/2 cups shredded/grated carrots
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups Cream Cheese Frosting you can use my recipe-link below
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease 9×13 baking pan.
- In a large bowl combine your flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In another bowl combine your eggs, shredded/grated carrots, brown sugar, white sugar, oil and vanilla.
- Add your wet ingredients to your dry ingredients and mix together. Do not overmix.
- Pour your cake batter into your greased 9×13 baking pan and spread batter evenly in pan.
- Place in oven for 20-25 minutes. It will be done when a toothpick comes out clean when poked in the center of the cake.
- When cake is done, remove from the oven and let cool completely before frosting.
- When cake is cooled, frost with cream cheese frosting and enjoy! This cake will stay fresh for up to a week if covered tightly.
- You can double this cake and bake it in a baking sheet/jelly roll pan for carrot cake bars. (Double your frosting if you do this)!
Cream cheese frosting
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened 1 brick
- 1/2 cup butter, softened, room temperature 1 stick
- 2-3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Add all of the ingredients together and mix until well combined and smooth. You can add more or less powdered sugar depending on how stiff you want your frosting.
Cheesy Ham & Potato Casserole
- 4 large white or red potatoes, peeled
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 slices ham (I used vegan deli ham)
- 8 slices swiss cheese, or cheddar
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 cups swiss cheese, grated
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup half and half milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a square 9-inch baking pan and set aside.
- Peel the potatoes and slice into about 1/4-inch thickness pieces.
- Press a layer of potatoes into the prepared pan and season with salt and pepper. Add 4 slices each of ham and cheese.
- Repeat with layers of potatoes, ham and then cheese slices.
- Add one final layer of potatoes, parsley and then grated cheese.
Easy Vanilla Cake
Ingredients for cake
- 1.25 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup buttermilk see note
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1.5 cup powdered sugar sifted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
(I added a drop of red food color for Bunny)